Tuesday, October 25, 2005

In days of summer past

In a recent post I commented on the ease with which I can post pictures to my blog. This made me happy and today I will use it for the first real time.

Back in July I had a chance to get together with a friend who I hadn't seen in over a year. We know each other from school but I had to take a year off and with us living in different towns we never got a chance to see each other. So one beautiful July day we decided we should get together before she left for teacher's college. She is into photography so another friend of mine lent me his digital camera so we went out in search of photo ops.

We started at an art gallery and then went on a cruise through North America's largest hydraulic lift locks. The boat ride was fairly uneventful but it was a good place to talk and it offered some great views. I wanted to post these pictures months ago but didn't know how. So here we go ...


This is fairly self explanitory.















This is from the top of the lift lock over looking a golf course.











This too is from the top of the lift lock over looking the city. In the middle of the city is a small lake aptly named Little Lake, in the middle of which is a large fountain which had been brought over from Switzerland by a local man for his wife. After a number of years he donated it to the city. You can just see the top of the water in the middle of the picture.








I liked the clouds here. They just seemed to epitomize the day.





















Again self explanitory.
















This is looking back of the stern of the boat as we are leaving the lift lock.




















This is another shot taken from the stern of the boat looking north.















This is one of the towers on which the lift lock rides up and down. Unlike most lift locks which simply pump water in to raise a boat, this lift lock has two large 'platforms' which seal in the water. The platforms are then raised or lowered carrying the boat up or down.







My friend who lent me the camera took a couple of the photos that I had taken and played with them a bit on his computer and came up with the following ...









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They turned out great! I've been waiting months to see them.

i i eee said...

Cool pics. Must have been a gorgeous day.

Anonymous said...

Purty clouds, I like the sky. Sky is blue, no heaven above us, below pot smoking space monkeys.