Sunday, April 17, 2011

I just don't get it

I've written before concerning my political ideas and how they have changed over time. I've come to a point where I think that I would most closely identify with libertarianism but I can't say that I'm a libertarian as I don't know enough about its entire philosophy.

This is what I will say:

I believe that each individual human being should be free to live their life as they see fit, just so long as it does not infringe upon another person's ability to do the same. That that does not mean that there is no government, but I do think that empowering a government beyond the necessity of protecting this core principle leads only to harm. The more powerful the government, the more intrusive it becomes and the more power it tries to exert on the individual.

So what I can't understand is why when I try to talk about this notion of personal and individual liberty I'm looked at like I've lost my mind. Like such a notion is abominable. Those that are looked at as being sane are the ones promoting extensive governmental intervention into nearly every area of human life. That is seen as being normal; being subservient to the state.

I just don't get it.

No comments: