Sunday, April 17, 2011

Election 2011

So the Canadian political parties have decided that its time for Canadians to head to the polls to elect an new government.

Yay!

I've varied over the years in my voting. Having once voted for the now defunct Reform Party of Canada and also having voted on more than one occasion for the New Democrat Party.

The sad conclusion that I've come to concerning this present election is that no party or party leader deserves to govern Canada.

Harper and Ignatieff are morons in my opinion.

Duceppe simply can't become PM by virtue of his regional outlook and support (not that I'd ever vote for the guy).

Layton has the odd good idea, but his party's platform would ruin Canada.

The same goes for May of the Green party.

After doing some reading and watching the televised debate (English) the only thing that I can say I agreed with was the need for electoral reform.

The current system is simply unfair and it needs to be changed to grant Canadians a much more representational voice in political life.

Ontario held a referendum a few years back concerning a mixed proportional representation system.

I voted for it.

It was voted down.

The thing that I didn't understand then, and still don't understand, is why Ontarians would deny themselves political power.

A proportional representation system would end regionalism (Bloc Quebecois) and give a voice at long last for the nearly one million voters who each election vote for the Green Party, but have no voice in Parliament. Meanwhile the Bloc gains only 1.3 million votes (only 30% more) and gains more than 50 seats in Parliament. A vastly disproportionate level of power and influence given the number of voters.

It seems strange to me that Canadians are satisfied with the status quo, but I doubt it will change in my life time.

I was thinking that I would conscientiously choose not to vote, but I've been convinced that the better option is to purposefully spoil the ballot. To show the party leaders that I'm not lazy, its not that I don't want to vote but that they are all a bunch of jack asses who are unworthy of my support.

No comments: