Sunday, November 30, 2008

In search of 'Seoul'

I finally made the trek to the nations capital; Seoul.

Waking at 4:30 am I hurried around the apartment making sure that everything was in order for my departure. Rising while the sun sleeps is never fun or easy but in this case it was necessary. I was out the door a little after 5 am, bag in hand, braving the oncoming winter's early morning chill. More than once I wondered why I was up so early on a Saturday morn, as I waited alone in a dark and windy parking lot for my friends to arrive.

Together at last we crammed our burdened bodies into the taxis and sped off to the bus terminal in hopes of leaving Suncheon at 6 am. Luck is a harsh mistress and on this chill morning was not on our side. We consoled ourselves with the knowledge that the next bus would leave at 6:20 am. So we huddled together and warmed ourselves with visions of Seoul and the hope of lofty plans.

Soon after leaving Suncheon the rain came. It lashed the bus in unceasing torrents, while we sat and dozed in our reclining seats. The fear of such rain greeting us in Seoul, cast a pall over the hearts of many. There was nothing to do but sit, wait and hope.

Five hours into our journey we arrived in Seoul. We stepped off the bus into a parking lot drenched in the rays of glorious sun. Now was the time for the parting of company, our journies briefly diverging. Down into the depths I walked, alone with my thoughts, the rumble of the distant beast growing ever louder.

Emerging from the beast's lair, the sun greeted me warmly, welcoming me back once again to the land of sun and wind. The streets were crowded with vendors, shoppers, and gawkers; each pursuing their own agendas. I ventured forth into the chilling wind, to find my own fortune.

Up and down the wind blown street I walked, waiting for the call that would signal my companion's arrival and with it a welcome respite from the cold and a warm meal. We supped on Mexican and went over our plans once again. On such a journey, one can't have too many plans.

The end of the meal brought, once again, an end to our fellowship as we split and followed the compass as we chose. My journey though lie before me in the endless shops and back alleys that would spill forth their treasure for those with purse enough. 

The beginning of my quest complete, the fellowship was once again rejoined in time for a hearty meal of fine Indian cuisine, where tales were shared and plans reformed. Then we were off, to once again ride the beast that would take us to the night's entertainment; Alegria.

The majestic characters soared above us, while others enchanted us with their songs, feats of skill, strength and agility. There were some still who could make two one or appear headless if they chose. Shy were these performers though, for if a camera were to appear others would rush to their aid to ensure that their picture could not be taken.

The night's entertainment delightfully witnessed, we retired to a friendly establishment to end the night amongst friends, cheap ale and the company of two friendly women who welcomed us to their table and spoke of life in Seoul till the early morning hours.

The fellowship, earlier splintered assunder by the weight of darkness, was once again rejoined in the light of day when wonderful markets opened themselves to our curious eye and minds. But alas all good things must too end and so began the end of our journey. Once again we rode the beast that would take us to our means home. 

Finally, at 7 pm on a dark Sunday evening we arrived home, travel weary and burdened with newly purchased treasures. Treasures to once again be marveled at by the warmth of the home hearth.

***

Sorry, I just finished reading The Hobbit and couldn't resist the urge to craft something of an adventure tale myself. Of course mine doesn't feature goblins, bears, giant spiders, eagles, wolves, dwarves, elves, hobbits, wizards, necromancers or dragons.

No comments: