Sunday, November 09, 2008

Festi-valle!

This past Friday was "Festival Day" at Seongnahm Elementary School, here in Suncheon, South Korea. The following is my impressions, photos and video of the event.

First the impressions.

As with any school pageant of this nature, the kids are always cute. It's also a great way to see your students in a new light. Especially for me, who only gets to see them for one class a week. It was great to see some of the kids that seemingly have no interest in school (from my limited perspective) up on stage performing.

The thing I found a bit shocking were the outfits and nature of some of the performances. From seeing a group of grade one girls wearing short skirt and halter top chearleader outfits while dancing to 'Mickey' or watching a group of grade six girls dressed up as hookers and dancing erotically on stage to the Wonder Girls (much to the delight of the grade 6 boys).

I felt rather awkward at times filming them, but I had agreed to take photos and film the performances for my co-teacher. I kept looking around at the other teachers to see if they had a problem with what was happening and they didn't. Niether did the parents who witnessed the performances.

I guess it speaks to the level of sexualization in their culture, especially of young girls. If such performances were to happen in Canada people would be up in arms.

Here are some photos of the event:

The grade 1 girls dancing to Mickey
One of my grade 5 classes waiting for their chance to perform
The grade 5's in action
Some of the kindergarten kids
A grade 1 class awaiting their chance
The grade 1's having fun
One of my co-teachers with her troupe of singers
Here they are singing
The aforementioned grade 6 girls
Some of my grade 6 boys dressed in school uniforms from 20 years ago
Grade 3 girls dancing up a storm
A very diligent triangle player
A collection of black belts
Some grade 5 girls doing a fan dance
A grade 1 class
A grade 2 class
Another grade 2 class
A grade 4 class doing a traditional dance

Here's a video of the proceedings:

No comments: