Monday, May 29, 2006

My symphony?

Recently I was at my favorite coffee shop and came across what I thought was an interesting piece of art. You see this particular coffee shop allows local artists to display their works for a month at a time. This particular exhibition was done by a graphic artist and the one that caught my eye was a piece made up of about 100 small pictures of kids with a statement written over them. I later found out that the pictures were of the artists son which I think adds another layer to the piece. Here is what it said ...

To live content with small means;
To seek elegance rather than luxury;
And refinement rather than fashion;
To be worthy not respectable;
And wealthy not rich;
To study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly;
To listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart;
To bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occaision, hurry never;
In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common.
This is to be my symphony.

No comments: