Monday, December 05, 2005

A Christmas state of mind

I was mildly suprised recently when CBC Newsworld here in Canada ran a piece concerning a perceived 'war on Christmas'. The CBC is known for being fairly leftist in its editorial stance and usually ignores such stories, however not this time. I'm not really all that sure why. The CBC went out into the streets asking people on the street what they thought concerning Christmas and what it should be called.

So on Saturday night I was having a few beers with a friend and asked him what he thought about it all. He accused me of trying to egg him on, but in reality I find that he is a fairly straight forward secular person and as such I am able to gain a perspective on the world other than my own. He said that the state shouldn't be in the business of promoting Christmas and that if the state (city, town, etc.) was going to be involved in recognizing the holidays that it should do so in as inclusive a manner as possible.

I began to think about it as I had not really formed an opinion on the matter. I saw it as a case of tradition and really didn't see the harm in a city putting up a Christmas tree as opposed to a holiday tree but I hadn't really thought about it. When people were asked on the street they would say such things as "we don't ask Muslim's to change the name of Ramadan" or "we wouldn't call the Menorah a candle stick" and "so why should we be forced to change the name of Christmas?" My friend mentioned paranoia and conspiracy and I think perhaps he is somewhat right.

You see the difference is that when Christmas season came around, the town I live in put up Christmas decorations along the main street. I'm sure it happens in communities across North America. Now while none of the decorations are overtly religious in nature, it is clear that Christmas is being recognized. The city didn't put decorations to recognize Ramadan nor Chanukah (now while Chanukah is celebrated during the same time as Christmas it is rather easy to discern the difference in recognizing the two holidays).

Now being a Christian I don't necessarily have a problem with people recognizing Christmas. But I obviously have no clue as to how non-Christians feel about it. I'm sure some are rather indifferent to the whole thing but I'm also sure that some are not. How would I feel if the town I lived in started putting up decorations for Ramadan (for instance) or Festivus? We are a multi-cultural society and as such we need to respect the cultures of those around us. We too should have our (by our I mean the predominantly WASP society in which we live) culture respected as well. But what does that really have to do with Christmas?

Christmas is a religious holiday. Yes it has been celebrated in our culture in the past and rather openly. However in doing so Christmas has been subverted. There is more talk about economics, gifts, parties, vacations and the like during Christmas than actual discourse on the person of Christ and his place in the world. I feel somewhat ashamed that a secular entity such as Adbusters calls for people not feeding the materialist machine that is corporate North America during Christmas. When people are feeling sentimental they say that Christmas is about family, honesty, love and community. What does that have to do with me buying you a digital camera? Many perhaps buy gifts for their loved ones as a sign of their feelings but wouldn't be better if we simply told those we love that we love them?

So in the end I don't mind if the city or country takes Christ out of Christmas because in all reality Jesus has little to do with how we celebrate the season. Christmas is now more a cultural holiday rather than a religious one in our society. The important thing to remember is that the city isn't telling me I can't celebrate Christmas. In all honesty they are simply being truthful by removing Christ from Christmas in our societal celebrations.

So happy holidays, merry Christmas, happy Chanukah, merry Festivus and a belated happy Ramadan. Celebrate as you will, because I know that I will be.

No comments: