Sunday, February 21, 2010

Part 6: Bangkok

What to say?

I didn't like Bangkok.

During my time in Bangkok I kept trying to figure out how I would describe Bangkok.

My first attempt is that Bangkok made me feel like an ATM; having my buttons pushed by so many hands trying to find the right combination that would have me spit out money.

My second attempt is that Bangkok is like a filthy dollar store seeded liberally with hookers and massage parlors.

In all honesty by the time I got to Bangkok I was rather tired of it all.

I found cities are like coins; dual sides. The first side is the city itself. The second side are the attractions the cities offers. Cities are something that I use, rather than something I appreciate. When I went to Hanoi it was for Ha Long Bay, and the Hanoi Hilton. Phnom Penh was for Tuol Sleng and the Killing Fields. The cities themselves held no interest for me.

I found Bangkok had little of interest. The markets were filled with cheap knockoff crap. Seeing an eight or nine year old girl hanging out in front of a whore house with some of the workers was depressing. The Lamborghini and Maserati I got to see there were kind of cool.

The best part of the week was my final day in Bangkok when I hung out at the Siam mall and got to see Avatar in Imax 3D.

No comments: