Thursday, January 21, 2010

Once in a lifetime

I haven't written in a while.

Not that I haven't wanted to, but I guess I just never bothered to take the time.

On Saturday I begin, what for me, will be the trip of a lifetime. A four week tour through south east Asia that will take me to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand.

My first stop is Hanoi, Vietnam. There are many things to see and do in the capital of Vietnam, the most important for me is Ha Long Bay.



Considered by many to be one of the most beautiful places on earth, I've therefore secured an overnight stay on one of Ha Long Bay's many islands. A two day, one night stay that will see me touring the bay on a private junk, kayaking, visiting a floating village, and exploring many of the caves that dot the area.

Next on my list of visits is Cambodia. I'll stay in both Phnom Penh and Siem Riep. My stay in Phnom Penh will be a short one but while I'm there I'll be visiting the Killing Fields of Cheoung Ek and the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. A tragic piece of human history. My stay in Siem Riep will be longer as I want to explore the Angkor Archeological Park.



My next stop will be Luang Prabang, Laos. I think that one of the best things about my stop here will simply be to take some time and relax and watch Laos. Laos is becoming more popular with tourists but its not the tourist mecca that my other stops will be.

After the relaxing and slower pace of Laos I'm heading off to Chiang Mai, Thailand. The highlight of this stop will be a two day, one night stay at the Elephant Nature Park. Its here that I'll get a chance to feed and bathe elephants and see them in action. Definitely something you can't do in Canada.

My final stay will be Bangkok. I've heard different things about Bangkok; some good, some bad. I guess that that is the point of travel, to see the world for one's self. One of the highlights of my stay in Bangkok will be a day trip out the smaller town of Kanchanaburi. Many would know this site from the movie Bridge on the River Kwai. While the movie is mostly fictitious, the historical reality of the Death Railway is real and something of interest for me.

Twenty-eight days.

Four weeks of traveling through SE Asia is something that I would not have dreamed possible even a few short years ago.

It becomes a reality starting Saturday.

No comments: