Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cultural imperialism

When I first came to Korea I was readily aware of the fact that I was a stranger and visitor to a foreign culture and society. As a westerner living in a non-western country I was very aware of my culture's history of cultural imperialism. As a good westerner I knew that our way isn't the only way, that there are a varied multitude of ways to live life and to order society and that it was not my right or place to try to change the cultural values and practices of my new home.

The the thing I find ironic is that this modern western mentality is prevalent when we talk about foreign cultures or about nice neat things at home, but they don't extend to those things that our western ideas deem to be less than ideal.

So while its not my place to tell Koreans to not eat dogs (based on the notion that simply because westerners place a different set of values on dogs does not mean that that is the value set that everyone, everywhere must hold to; just like I eat beef despite cows being sacred in India) it is apparently the modern westerner's place to tell the Inuit what they can and can't do with seals. This despite the fact that the Inuit were hunting and eating seals long before Europeans came to the New World.

As such I have nothing but praise for the recent actions of Michelle Jean, Governor General of Canada.

From the CBC:

Earlier this week in the central Nunavut community of Rankin Inlet, Jean used a traditional Inuit knife to cut into the flesh of a seal and slice off a part of its heart. She then swallowed it raw. Jean said she was informed the heart is the most coveted part of the meal.

The incident sparked national headlines and protests from animal welfare groups, but also earned her praise from sealers, Canadian Inuit leaders and politicians like Defence Minister Peter MacKay, who described Jean as "Canada's new Braveheart."

"The heart is a delicacy," Jean said. "It is the best you can offer to your guest. It is the best that is offered to the elders.

"So, do you say no to that? You engage, and at the same time you are learning about a way of life, a civilization, a tradition."


I have a hard time seeing people opposed to this aspect of Inuit life as little more than sanctimonious pricks.

No comments: