Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Historical (willful) ignorance

Okay, when I first got to Korea I playfully wondered if there was something of a Nazi fetish amongst Koreans. It began when I saw the swastika everywhere, but that was easily explained away as the swastika is an ancient religious symbol that was adopted and perverted by the Nazi's.

It was sort of like my ex-wife's Italian family. I playfully joked around about them being involved in the mob. It was a joke, nothing serious then you find out that her grandfather owns a second hand jewelry shop that does no business but supports a new Cadillac in the driveway every other year. Or the time you attend a wedding and the best way for people to describe the presence of a particular gentleman (when he walked in all of the men lined up and greeted him, while all the women lined up and greeted his wife) was as a Godfather type figure. Then came the time her grandfather attended the funeral of a high ranking NY mobster in the '80s, or her cousin that was killed in a hunting accident (he was double tapped at close range with a .22 to the back of the head). Where there is smoke there is fire?

Back to Korea, there was the SS hotel that I saw, which raised an eyebrow. Then came the time in one of my grade five classes when a student walked around giving everyone a Nazi salute saying 'heil Hitler'. I was flabbergasted by this but was at a loss to try and explain why he should not be doing it.

Now we have this from Japan, a video about Uncle Hitler:



What is a person to think?

No comments: