Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

Another Easter has come and for many it is simply another excuse for a long weekend. Don't get me wrong, I too appreciate an extra day off from work, but Easter is much more than an excuse for a holiday. However, when I'm honest with myself I feel conflicted about Easter. On one hand it is the most significant event in the history of Christianity and in the life of the Christian. As the Apostle Paul once wrote, if Jesus is not risen, then we are to be pitied above all men. One cannot difinitevley prove or disprove Christ's resurrection, one must accept it on faith.

But now I find myself watching the third season of Battlestar Galatcita and I recognize the courage and valor that is depicted on the screen and I can't help but compare and contrast that with my own actions and thoughts. This is what has me feeling conflicted concerning Easter. I see in Christ the courage of self sacrifice and moral integrity and I can't help but see myself being found wanting by comparison. Of course everyone is found wanting when compared to the Christ. That doesn't mean that one should be blind to their journey or fail to strive to improve one's being. It is at Easter that this distance between the perfection of the Christ and my own flawed humanity seems most apparent. So while one half rejoices another half laments.

***

After three years and seven months I received an email from my ex-wife. I hadn't talked with her or seen her since August of 2004, when we finalized our divorce. I had heard about her from others, I knew she was remarried and that she had had a child. Which is I why I was not only surprised to hear from her but for her to claim to have been happier with me than she is currently. I couldn't help but wonder why she would tell me that. What difference would it make to me? Was it supposed to make me feel better? Was this another effort to hurt me? In the final analysis I don't care. She has her life and I have mine. If she is unhappy with the choices that she has made that is a burden for her to bear not I, not any longer. The question I am left with is whether I should communicate to her whether or not I forgive her. Which of course leads to another question: do I forgive her?

***

The To-Do List ... Updated

1. go camping
2. go paintballing
3. visit Diane

No comments: