Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I'm so un-Canadian

I had decided quite a while ago that when I have kids I won't put them in hockey. I won't encourage them to play nor will I probably watch the games with them. This is just so very un-Canadian where many towns have a hockey rink and nothing else, but the growing violence not only in the professional game but in the minors as well has shown me that hockey is not something I want my children involved in.

There are many examples that one can site from the pro game. The McSorely two-handed slash to Donald Brashir's head



and Todd Bertuzzi's attack of Steven Moore



come most readily to mind, but the fact is that the game promotes fighting and needless violence as part of its product. As such kids are emulating their professional role models at younger and younger ages. Not to mention the adults who were failed hockey stars themselves that end up in fights at the rink in support of their child.

I used to go and watch my cousin's son play hockey. I watched him from about the age of 5 to 8 and I was appalled by the actions of both the players and the parents. I would watch as 7 year old kids were being yelled at by their parents to hit kids from behind. I'd watch as parents would have excessive arguments in the stands. I'd watch as parent would verbally harrass referrees after the game or as parent verbally harrassed a coach if they felt their son wasn't getting the ice time that the parent deserved.

Hockey should be fun for the kids and I'm sure it is for many but the minority that ruin the game for everyone is growing. I played hockey from the time I was 4 till the time I was 18. I enjoyed playing but I can remember being threatened with being beat up after the game for having hit a particular player or having numerous sticks broken over my body by other players. I can remember watching Hockey Night in Canada with my Grandmother each Saturday night. But these are not things I'm going to share with my children if given the chance.

Why?

Well another example has cropped up to cement in me my decision to keep my kids from hockey. A game involving 8 year olds ended in a bench clearing brawl after the two coaches got into a fight.

"Police say criminal charges could be laid following a weekend bench-clearing hockey brawl between two teams of eight-year-old players."

The game has become nothing but a breeding ground for mindless violence, all of which is glorified every Saturday night on the CBC. We are told that this is Canada's game, well I guess I'm just un-Canadian.

1 comment:

Chris Hunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.